Serving Size: 1 cup
This protein-packed, savory Ramen is layered with robust flavors and has 40% less sodium than traditional ramen!
Tip: make the Dashi anywhere from 2 – 48 hours in advance of preparing the rest of the ramen ingredients.
- 6 cups water
- 1 4×8-inch piece of kombu
- 5 medium dried shiitake caps
- In a large pot, soak the kombu and shiitake in water for 45 minutes. Slowly bring to a near-boil. Just before it reaches a boil, remove from the heat and let sit for at least 30 minutes or until the dashi has a strong umami flavor. Strain and discard solids.
- 5 tablespoons toasted sesame oil, divided
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup freshly minced ginger
- 8 thinly-sliced green onions, separate green from white portions
- 3 tablespoons dark miso
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 cup brown vegetable broth, unsalted
- 2 cups plain (unsweetened) soy milk
- 4 cups dashi (see recipe)
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon MSG
- 4 quarts water
- 1 pound fresh ramen noodles
- 2 cups shimeji mushrooms
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1 medium carrot, julienned and blanched until al dente
- 6 ounces firm tofu, cut into large dice
- 6 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- Optional: sautéed bok choy, hot sauce
- In a large pot, warm 3 tbsp. toasted sesame oil over medium heat; sauté garlic, ginger, and white portion of green onion for a minute or two. Add miso and continue sautéing until browning forms on the bottom of the pot. Add vegetable broth and increase heat to a boil. Add soy milk, dashi, rice wine vinegar and MSG; reduce heat to simmer for 15 minutes, whisking from time to time.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pot, bring 4 qt. water to boil and cook fresh ramen noodles until tender. Strain noodles.
- In a skillet, add 1 tbsp. toasted sesame oil and mushrooms; sauté for about 3-4 minutes, remove from skillet. Add remaining tbsp. toasted sesame oil and bean sprouts; sauté about 2 minutes until al dente, remove from skillet.
- Place the hot, cooked ramen noodles into large individual bowls. Top with sautéed mushrooms, bean sprouts, carrots, tofu, optional bok choy, and ramen broth. Sprinkle with green onions, sesame seeds and add optional hot sauce.
- Calories: 170
- Fat: 8 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Sodium: 470 mg
- Carbohydrate: 19 g
- Fiber: 2 g