Serves: 16 sliders
While small, these sliders are big on taste thanks to their umami punch. Ketchup is already a source of umami, but with the addition of sun-dried tomatoes, it becomes even more umami focused. The hamburger mixture is spiked with umami with additions of Worcestershire sauce, MSG, and dry-cured pepperoni. The sliders are then finished with still more sources of umami–cheddar cheese and parmesan crisps. Together, it makes for a very satisfying slider!
Sun-dried tomato ketchup
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- Combine ketchup and sun-dried tomatoes.
- 3 oz. finely grated parmesan cheese
- Line a baking sheet with a silicon baking mat or piece of parchment.
- Sprinkle a thin layer of cheese such that the entire sheet is covered.
- Bake in a 350˚ F oven until the crisps turn light brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool. Once cool, they will become very brittle. Break into pieces as needed.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon MSG
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 oz. dry-cured pepperoni, sliced thinly and finely chopped
- Mix together until homogenous.
- Form into 16 patties.
- Grill or sauté burgers until cooked to desired doneness.
- Lightly toast the hamburger buns in a hot oven or on a grill.
- Assemble the sliders by first placing a slice of tomato on the bottom bun, followed by red onion, hamburger, cheddar cheese, sun-dried tomato ketchup and finally broken pieces of parmesan crisps. Finish with the top of the bun.
To finish the sliders
16 small pretzel rolls (or other slider-sized buns), 16 thin slices of ripe tomato, red onion, thinly sliced, sun-dried tomato ketchup, 8 cheddar cheese slices, cut in half