- ½+ cup pesto (recipe below)
- 4 oz. fresh goat cheese, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon green onion
- 4 large slices of rustic/sourdough bread
- Seasoning mix (recipe below)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 large, fresh eggs
- 16 small cherry or grape tomatoes, halved and mixed with a few drops of rice wine vinegar
- Kalamata olives, chopped
- Small arugula leaves
- Combine goat cheese and green onion.
- Toast the bread until nicely browned. Spread with goat cheese mixture.
- In a large non-stick sauté pan over moderate heat, add 2 tablespoons of pesto per 2 eggs. Once the pesto just begins to bubble, break in the eggs on top of the pesto. Season the eggs with a light sprinkle of the seasoning mix and some black pepper.
- Continue cooking until the eggs are done to desired doneness. It is important not to cook over too high of heat as this can burn the pesto.
- When the eggs are cooked, remove from the pan and place 2 eggs on top of each slice of bread. Spoon additional pesto over the eggs as desired.
- Top with tomatoes, kalamata olives and arugula.
- 2 oz. roasted pine nuts (or other nuts)*
- 2 packed cups fresh basil (about 2 oz.)
- 1 large or 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 2/3 cup high quality extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon MSG
- 2 pinches ground black pepper
- Place all the ingredients in a blender. Process just until smooth.
- *To roast the nuts, place them on a baking sheet in an even layer. Bake at 350° F until lightly browned. Remove from the oven and then from the baking sheet to allow them to cool.
- 1 teaspoon granulated salt
- 1 teaspoon MSG
- Combine ingredients.